Associate Professor 2023-2024
Associate Professor 2023-2024
If you are seeking a job as an Associate Professor, the document below will guide you through the steps needed to find and apply for such jobs, and provide tips on how to make sure you are hired.
- ENGINEERING, BUILT ENVIRONMENT, AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY FACULTY
- CIVIL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT
- ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR / LECTURER / SENIOR LECTURER (2 POSTS)
The incumbent will be in charge of:
- In the Department, you will teach undergraduate and postgraduate modules.
Oversee final-year undergraduate project students as well as postgraduate Honours, Masters, and/or Ph.D. students.
Conduct research as a member of a Department research group and publish in prestigious journals;
Raise and manage additional funding from national and international funding agencies, as well as industry, to support the relevant research group’s activities.
Extend existing research programs or launch new research initiatives;
Carry out departmental responsibilities (e.g. of an administrative nature).
CLOSING DATE: July 27, 2022
No applications will be considered after the deadline or if they do not meet the minimum requirements.
- A BEng/BScEng degree from a university whose undergraduate program is recognized by the Washington Accord or is recognized as equivalent by ECSA;
Following on from the previous qualification, a master’s degree in Civil Engineering;
Publications in reputable journals or at reputable conferences;
Appropriate work experience in academia and/or industry is required.
Senior Lecturer (equivalent to Lecturer, plus):
- Following the previous qualification, a Ph.D. in Engineering;
Two years of tertiary education or two years of related industry experience in an advanced technology area demonstrating direct innovation and involvement through reports and designs;
Expertise and research experience in one or more of the Department’s research groups’ specialist areas;
A track record of published research in high-quality peer-reviewed journals;
Previous undergraduate and/or postgraduate teaching experience is required.
- Plus, the same as for Senior Lecturer.
At least six years of experience at a tertiary academic institution or in the industry
Prior undergraduate and postgraduate teaching experience, including supervision of Masters’s and/or Doctoral students;
A well-established and nationally recognized research record that is backed up by publications in high-quality peer-reviewed journals.
PREFERENCES AND ADVANTAGES:
- Demonstrate your ability to teach large undergraduate classes (more than 150 students).
Candidate must preferably be registered, or be registered as a Candidate Engineer/Professional Engineer, with the Engineering Council of South Africa.
Applicants must have an appropriate NRF research rating or be on track to be eligible to apply for one.
Candidates with teaching and research experience that complements the Department’s needs will be given preference.
Experience with structural engineering, statics, data science, civil engineering design, civil engineering practice and engineering science integration, civil engineering contracts, and economics
DETAILS ON SALARY
- According to UP policy guidelines, the annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment. UP participates in the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes, contributing 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
For more info on this job, click here