Nefsa Bursary 2024-2025
Nefsa Bursary 2024-2025
A student may receive a bursary award, or just a bursary, depending on their academic standing and/or financial necessity. Similar to scholarships given by American institutions, a bursary award is given to the student by the educational institution. An applicant must be a South African citizen and come from a family with a combined yearly household income of no more than R350 000 to qualify for NSFAS financing in the case of students with a disability the combined annual household income may not exceed R600 000 per annum.
What does the bursary cover?
Amounts of accommodation, living allowance, transport and learning materials need to be aligned with the approved latest DHET guidelines.
- As per the actual costs charged by the university (costs for private accommodation must not exceed costs for university residence)
- Transport (up to 40 km from the institution) R7 500 per annum
- Living allowance R15, of 000 per annum
- Book allowances R5200 per annum
- Incidental/personal care allowance R2900 per annum for students in catered residences
- Accommodation in an urban area R24,000 per annum
- Accommodation in an peri-urban area R18,900 per annum
- Accommodation in an rural area R15,750 per annum
- Transport (up to 40 km from institution) R7,350 per annum
- Transport R7000 per annum
- Incidental/personal care allowance R2900 per annum
Who qualifies for NSFAS funding?
- All South African citizens
- All SASSA grant recipients qualify for funding
- Applicants whose combined household income is not more than R350 000 per annum
- A person with a disability: Combined household income must not be more than R600 000 per annum
- Students who started studying before 2018 whose household income is not more than R122 000 per annum.
Who Should Not Apply?
- Students that have completed a previous qualification.
- Students with a combined household income of more than R350 000 per annum.
- Students who have already applied, qualified and received funding. They are automatically funded for the duration of their studies provided they pass their modules and meet the academic requirements.
- International students (any student who is not a South African citizen).
For nsfas online application click >>>here
Applicants can click here for more >>>Nsfas links
For more information on nsfas click here